"March Madness" is an Understatement!

Oh how much has changed in a month!

I think it goes without saying that March threw everyone for a loop. But with that, I'll get into the normalcy that ensued the first half of the month. School wise, we had our Psych block set of tests, and they went well! That marked the end of our Medical Pharmacology and Principles of Pharmacology courses, and wow did that free up a lot of time! The time is now being used to study for the MCAT...yay, and focus on the last Cellular Control Mechanisms block! Speaking of, we just had our second test for Cellular Controls yesterday actually, and while I was quite nervous for it, it also went well!

Now onto the elephant in the room: while school consumed a large part of my month, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic arguably halted almost everything. Not that I did much besides study, workout, and volunteer before it began, but even those 3 activities were jolted. Due to the high transmissibility of the virus, the gym closed, classes were moved online, and interpersonal contact had to be reduced to a minimum. With this being said, I started working out from home: continuing to run around my neighborhood and using YouTube as a great tool for workout videos! Online classes being moved to Zoom was an oddly seamless transition, though interesting nonetheless. It's good to see my classmates' faces! I think many of us are trying to adapt to this new normal of having to find innovative methods of having contact with loved ones and pals, and Zoom is a great outlet for it! Personally, to maintain at least a small level of sanity in the midst of the chaos, I have been trying to spend a significant amount of time outside. This past week I decided to move my desk outside to the balcony we have attached to our house, and studied outside for the day. It's honestly done wonders for my mood. I've noticed lots of other people in the neighborhood adopted this similar method of spending time outside. I see both individuals and families alike walking around the neighborhood, sitting on their porches, and playing in their yards. This has made me happy seeing people get outdoors more, a light in this dark time we're in!

I also signed up to volunteer with Volunteers of America to hand out lunches at schools in the area for a couple hours a day on Fridays, starting this week. With K-12 school closures throughout the state, and I think country honestly, teachers stepped up to provide lunches for students in need throughout the pandemic. It's good to have something occupy the newfound large amount of time I have on my hands, and to be able to help kiddos in the area is an added bonus! (Disclaimer: masks and gloves are being provided to volunteers as PPE, and I promise to maintain my 6 feet of distance!)

Let's see what April holds....cheers!

March Service Hours: 0
Total Spring Hours: 9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Lagniappe

Costumes, Candy, & Anti-Coagulants