Gratitude

Howdy!

The month of November flew by quicker than what feels like the remainder of the first semester! With it came some more cool weather, friendly gatherings, and another set of tests, of course! In the midst of the coming chaotic conclusion of the first semester, I am reminding myself to remain grateful for all that we've accomplished in the last 3 months. I'm thankful for the pals that have lightened up the program when the material to learn seems unbearable, and the instructors who make the information easier to digest! Speaking of digestion, we begin the GI block this upcoming week. I know it will fly by to cap off the semester.

In regards to service hours, I went ahead and completed my volunteer orientation at National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI). It was so awesome! The social workers and employees there exude such an amazing energy, and the work they do for the public is even more admirable. When I went in to volunteer this past week, I helped the workers go ahead and make information packets for new members, and give a recap on what NAMI did this past year for the community in their monthly newsletter! We jotted down all of the support groups that the non-profit offers, including family ones, peer support groups for adults living with mental illnesses, a survivors of suicide support group, and  a depression and bipolar support alliance! This is so empowering to know there are local outlets for the numerous amounts of people who struggle so commonly with this. I am grateful for NAMI and I look forward to this upcoming week when I go back again to help out!

Peace out November,

Ashley

November Service Hours: 6
Total Service Hours: 6

UPDATE: 12/17

This past week I went back to NAMI to help out the social workers. They had just facilitated a “Mental Health First Aid” course for members of the community wanting to verse themselves in what the program offers, whether it be for personal or professional development! I helped them enter all of the quizzes and evaluations in the database so that the participants could receive their certifications! I definitely look forward to taking this course myself! What was most exciting was that the NAMI office was participating in a Christmas door-decorating contest. I cut and traced letters, along with hanging festive tinsel up around the doorframe! The office that I was working in decided to go with the current trending meme of “Baby Yoda.” I can’t wait to go back in January!

As for our school courses, we have our final module exams of the semester today!

December Service Hours: 6
Total Service Hours: 12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Lagniappe

"March Madness" is an Understatement!

Costumes, Candy, & Anti-Coagulants