Mardi Gras Mambo

Howdy!

And just like that February is gone, can you believe it? I'm not sure where the month went but it was surely full of events.

School wise, we concluded the neurology model which was so cool! We began the Psych module shortly after, and I found that to be even more interesting because of how relatable the topics are. Anxiety and depression are two largely common disorders that so many of us struggle with, so learning the physiology behind them makes it more tangible.

Volunteer wise, the month was also packed. In my January post I mentioned being a volunteer for my roommate's Team Up group for his school. I had the first meeting in January, and over the course of the last month I had the last two visits, each about 2 weeks apart. Both visits were at my house, and the healthcare students asking the questions were so professional! The second visit consisted of them asking about my own personal doctors and other members of my healthcare team, and asking me to rate them. This was perfectly timed because I had just had my followup appointments with my nutritionist, primary care doctor, and psychiatrist all within a week of the visit. The last visit consisted of the group of students offering suggestions for specific health concerns I had, and providing me with a file full of my answers over the last few months and checking on my progress. I will be interested to see how it helped them improve their own interpersonal skills. In addition to Team Up visits, I was also lucky enough to help out and judge the Greater New Orleans Science and Engineering Fair this past month. It was fulfilling to see junior high aged students show such an interest in the scientific community. The two I enjoyed most were projects with the most local relevance, of course! One student measured both sunflower and kale's phytoremediation effects on removing lead from levee soil. Another student looked at what type of water algae grew best in, and I thought that was awesome because Louisiana has so much green and brown algae.

And then Mardi Gras wise, carnival season went by as quickly as it showed up. I had two of my high school and college best friends come into town, and living on the parade route was both a blessing and a curse. Being only a 4 minute walk to the festivities was fun, but also not being able to leave the house because of road closures was tricky to maneuver around. Happy it happened, but glad it's over!

Now it is back in the books studying for our set of tests next week and the NBME that is also shortly away....

Cheers, February!

February Service Hours: 8
Total Spring Hours: 9


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Lagniappe

"March Madness" is an Understatement!

Costumes, Candy, & Anti-Coagulants